Monday, February 13, 2012

Industry, Shmindustry...

It is that time again my people, for an art attack!   I am glad I got a great response from my last one, but how do I follow up after that?  Hopefully this one will be just as good!

in the immortal words of Peter Griffin, "Do you know what really grinds my gears?"  How much I love the medium of comics, but hate how the industry is being handled right now.  Creators suing companies, each other, countersuing and so on.  Companies not paying for the work that was delivered at a prompt fashion and feeling as though they can pay whenever they feel like it.  Something that I am going through right now.  There is a sign floating around, I believe I had posted it once on my facebook one time, but it is probably the most appropriate statement:

Not my illustration, but it gets the point across!
It is just sad how many of my friends have given up and moved on in a different direction from our once big dream of being Superstar comic book artists.  With everything that is happening, really jades your sense of reality of today's industry.  I am thankful that I have had my go in comics, it was fun, and I am open to do comics, if the chance arose and it paid, consistently and well, I am there.  But as of right now, I am focusing my path in the direction of multimedia entertainment.  That is where the money is, and if someone thinks that is selling out, then call me a sell out.  I am looking out for my family who I need to support, more than ever!  

My wife, Cyndi has been there for me since day 1 of my career, almost 10 years ago, every comic book convention, waiting in line for portfolio reviews with editors, critiques, mentoring with Bart Sears.  To this day, she refers to whatever Bart said, to my work, thanks Bart...  LOL  She supported me through it all, and I thank you!  It is only fair, that I support her in her time of need by actually getting paid consistently, without her worrying when and how we are going to pay next month's bills from the salary of a freelancer.  The stress alone is hard and terrible with a little one on the way.  So I thank you comic book industry for a fun time, but I bid you adieu for now to bigger and more lucrative endeavors!  But I will post some of the most recent stuff I did in comics that alot of you haven't seen, so here you go!


here is my thumbnail process from an unpublished project that won't see the light of day.





pencils


inked by the fabulous Mark McKenna!

and here is a work in progress of what I am doing now for my concept portfolio, taking a sketch to a digital painting.  Again, this is a work in Progress, I will post the finished piece next blogpost!


here is the sketch








work in progress

Well, that is all I have for tonight!  I hope you have enjoyed delving into some of my process, and look forward to showing you more in the next few days!  See you in the funny papers!

It's Lily showing off her spine!












1 comment: