Monday, June 1, 2015

On the CONtrary...



Hey everyone!

I hope you guys had a great weekend, I know I did!  I just finished the Dallas Fan Expo aka Dallas Comic Con, and it was a blast!  First off, I didn't know until I got there, that I was sitting next to none other than, James O' Barr, creator of the Crow....  What?!  Of course that was on Friday, Sunday it was more like, oh...I'm sitting next to James O'Barr....again...  HA!  I kid, that man was funny!  And full of stories, and tips on art and working conventions.  Definitely a master of his craft, and an honor of sitting next to him, even if he ragged on me all weekend!  HA!  It was definitely one of the big highlights of the show.
Me wearing my Fernando Ruiz t-shirt, since he was a guest there also.  Had to make him proud!  
The place was packed, and that was a great thing!  I got to meet lots of people and spread the word about LARP!  They seemed pretty interested and was going to look for it when it comes out this summer.  I had the spiel down by Sunday...  I had a few requests for commissions which were a lot of fun including an Elfquest piece.
still haven't read this one....

Hulk piece in a guy's hulk themed sketchbook
ElfQuest
I also sold my Attack on Titan piece, which means, I need to do that as a print for HeroesCon!
Attack on Titan, SOLD

and my Snake Eyes print was a hit.
Snake Eyes not with Nicolas Cage...

Another big highlight for me was meeting Mark Kistler from Imagination Station and Secret City, a show on PBS I used to watch when I was a kid.  I learned my basic shapes of drawing watching Secret City.  He would draw these floating islands that had waterfalls connecting to another floating island city with pipes and furry creatures.  He was my Captain Kangaroo, and I got the chance to meet him!  He was everything I remembered him to be from the show except a bit on the gray side, and wearing a kilt.  He even sounded like the show, it was awesome!  I was walking around and came across his booth, had no idea he was going to be there!  I ran up to him and said, "Oh my Gosh!  I watched your show religiously when I was a kid!  My mom showed me drawing skills, but it was you who introduced me to the world of cartooning!  I learned my basic shapes because of your floating cities!"  His eyes gleamed with excitement and noticed I was an exhibitor and asked what I did.  I told him all about Dark Horse and LARP!, and he was so thrilled, and I told him I owe it to him for directing me down this path at a very early age!  He came to my table to see my work, and kept using his exclamations that he used on the show, it was so great!  He gave me a print in exchange for one of mine, it truly was a memory I will cherish!  And with that I will leave you with this video of Secret City, so you all know the awesomeness I got to meet!  Till next time!







No comments:

Post a Comment